WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Moon Shadow’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc. 5) Year of origin: 1999
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? Yes
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
Water Gardening Magazine, p. 25, Jan/Feb 1999
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ‘Trail Blazer’
Pollen (paternal) parent: Unknown
Please give following dimensions in centimeters. Colors from RHS Colour Charts.
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Star
Sepal color, exterior: 144A, 145D edges
Sepal color, interior: 145D
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Base 145C, 93D mixing in as you go up
Petal number: 22
Stamen: Filament color: 14A base with 93D mixing in as you go up
Anther color: 41A suffused with 93D
Tip color: 93D
Number of stamens: 169
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: 144B
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Height above water: 30 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Margin: Denate, undulating
Length x width: 45 x 40 cm.
Sinus: ˝ open
Lobes: Overlapping half way, tips rounded
Color, top: 137B
Color, underside: 144A
Petiole (leaf stem) color: 137B
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 200-300 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments:
The two colors blending in the petal give the center of the petal a greenish look.